Saturday 1 November 2008

Teenagers for 25 years.

I can remember that when I was a kid (my second to last year in primary school) I used to go roller skating every Wednesday after school. I loved roller skating (and later roller blading) so it was a fun thing to do once a week. The down side of this weekly event was that I missed the afternoon cartoons that would be on between half three and five o'clock. Not really a big thing, I could watch Superted and Banana Man another day.

Then one Thursday when I got to school, everyone was talking about the new cartoon that had debuted the night before, while I was whizzing around on wheels.

Leonardo, Donatello, Raphael and Michelangelo. Everybody was talking about the ninja (then hero due to the UK censoring the term ninja due to its violent connotations) everybody except me - man was I out of the loop.

Eventually I was able to catch up on with "fearsome fighting machines" and became a kind of go-to guy for tmnt information (in retrospect, this was possibly my introduction to geekhood).

Now half a dozen comic series, four movies, an impossible number of merchandise deals and twenty five years later, the turtles are still going strong.

Yes, 25 years of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Feel old yet? For more information on the "Mean and Green", check out http://www.ninjaturtles.com

G.

No comments: